martes, 28 de agosto de 2012

Fantastic Fungi: The Forbidden Fruit

ORIGINAL: Moving Art



Earlier this month I had the opportunity to complete a second interview with legendary mycologist Paul Stamets. For those of you who don’t know who he is, Paul has discovered and coauthored four new species of mushrooms, pioneered countless techniques in the field of edible and medicinal mushroom cultivation, and written six books about mushroom cultivation. He sees the ancient Old Growth forests of the Pacific Northwest as a resource of incalculable value.

I traveled to Cortes Island in British Columbia, Canada and getting to this remote island location with my equipment was an enormous challenge. I had a two man crew (myself and a camera assistant) and we hauled 6 cameras and hundreds of pounds of equipment on two flights and 3 ferries, taking about a day and a half just to get to the location. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote “Patience and fortitude conquer all things”, and this was true of my experience.

We got some fantastic footage of Paul Stamets as we hiked and bushwhacked into the deep forest.  


His knowledge is fascinating and inspiring. The footage is processing in the edit bay and I hope to start looking at dailies in the next week. From there we will begin to build the documentary film Fantastic Fungi: The Forbidden Fruit. I have posted an excerpt of the film, which doesn’t yet have any of the new footage included but gives an idea about the film’s concept. I’ve also included some behind the scene photos of Paul and I filming on Cortes.

Enjoy,


Louie

An excerpt from the feature documentary by Louie Schwartzberg following notable mycologist, Paul Stamets, as he discusses the important role mushrooms play in the survival and health of the earth and human species.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.