sábado, 8 de febrero de 2014

20 more Orangutans from Nyaru Menteng are are going back Home!

February 7, 2014| Orangutan Release Day 1

What a lovely morning in Nyaru Menteng! Kicking off 2014, today 12 rehabilitant orangutans from Nyaru Menteng started the journey to their real home in the Bukit Batikap Conservation Forest

Despite heavy rainfall in the area surrounding the Quarantine Enclosure in Nyaru Menteng, the orangutan release team was high in spirits, excited to start 2014 the way they ended 2013; releasing more orangutans! The first day of the orangutan releases started with the medical team’s preparation. At 4.15 in the morning the medical team and technicians gathered their equipment from the Nyaru Menteng Clinic and proceeded to the Quarantine Enclosure. It was dark and the rain was still drizzling so preparations for the tranquiliser gun and sedation doses took place under torch light. Vet Agus Fahroni coordinated the vet team who were ready to sedate the orangutans. Before starting the process, the team gathered for the final briefing and group prayer for today’s success.

Today, we were going to release 12 orangutans to Bukit Batikap Conservation Forest. They were divided into two groups; the first group consisted of Zena and her son William, Kitty and her daughter Kate, Dita and her daughter Halt, and Noor. While the second group comprised Judy and her son named Son, Hamlet, Joys, and Sarita.

Zena, William’s lovely Mother, was the first to be sedated, followed by Dita, Noor, and Kitty; the young ones William, Kate, and Halt didn’t need sedation.

Sucessfully sedated, they were carefully carried to their transport cages which had been labeled based on their passengers. Zena finally fell asleep and together with William they were the first to be moved to their transport cage. Meanwhile the effects of sedation started kicking in on Noor and she was immediately moved to her transport cage. Dita had also already fallen asleep by then and was ready to be moved. Her little daughter Halt however, was a little bit nervous when her Mother was about to be moved and ran away from her screaming. The vets and technicians tried to calm the tiny two year old. Dita was moved and tailing closely behind was technician Mulyono who was carrying Halt. The sedation worked a bit slower on Kitty. The Medical Team decided to add to the initial dose. After a while she too was finally asleep and moved to her transport cage with her daughter Kate. Just a moment before the cage door was closed, Kitty was given the anti-sedation (reversal) to wake her up.


All transport cages were delivered by truck to Tjilik Riwut airport in Palangka Raya to be flown to Beringin airport in Muara Teweh.

Meanwhile in Muara Teweh, the weather was reported clear. The team in Muara Teweh was ready to welcome the 12 orangutans from Palangka Raya. The helicopter was also ready to travel to Beringin airport to meet the orangutans as soon as they arrived.

The aircraft which would transport the orangutans had been on standby at Tjilik Riwut airport in Palangka Raya since yesterday. The truck arrived at the airport at 7 in the morning. Soon after, we received the signal to start the loading process.

 This process took around ten minutes. 

Then they were ready to fly!

Beringin Airport Muara Teweh

09.10, the Twin Otter airplane arrived in Beringin airport in Muara Teweh bringing its passengers Kitty and Kate, Zena and William, Dita and Halt, Noor, a representative from Central Kalimantan Conservation and Natural Resources Authority, BOSF Advisor Jacqui Sunderland-Groves, Vet Agus Fahroni, and Technician and HLO Abdul Azis. The process of unloading was immediately completed, and the orangutans were checked by Vet Agus and each given milk. The cargo net was ready and the transport cages were positioned and safely wrapped in it. And off to Batikap!

Palangka Raya: Second Group Preparation

Back at the Quarantine Enclosure in Nyaru Menteng, the sedation process had commenced again, and the lucky number one was Hamlet. Sleeping Hamlet was moved to his transport cage immediately. The next one was Judy. Soon she was asleep and moved to her transport cage with her son who is conveniently called Son, holding tightly onto her belly. Handsome little Son looked a bit confused but kept his calm.

Next, Sarita was sedated and was soon sleeping peacefully. The team successfully moved her into her transport cage. Joys was the last one. She was a tough cookie and the Medical Team had to add to her sedation dose. After a long while, finally, she fell asleep and was moved into her transport cage.

After all the travel cages were loaded onto the truck, the team once again drove to the airport, this time with the second group. They arrived at Tjilik Riwut airport at 10.45 am, and coincided with the arrival of Twin Otter aircraft from Muara Teweh. The loading process took only a short time and soon all the orangutans were safely onboard.

They arrived at Beringin airport in Muara Teweh at 11.35 am. The weather was still excellent and the orangutans were unloaded as soon as the aircraft came to a standstill. The orangutans in their transport cages then waited patiently in a shady area next to the waiting room of the airport while waiting for the helicopter. All were given food and milk and continuously checked by Vet Agus and the rest of the team.

Soon the B3 helicopter arrived from Batikap. The team did a final check to ensure the safety and comfort of the orangutans during their travel, before loading the cages into the cargo net. It didn’t take long to make sure they were safely secured in the net, and the helicopter once again took off, this time carrying 5 of our beloved orangutans back to freedom.

And that’s a wrap for today. We will post a detailed update from Batikap after February 10 when the team in Batikap are back in Palangka Raya. Tomorrow we we have another exciting day of release activities planned so please make sure you follow the amazing journey of our orangutans and our team!

Orangutan release activities – especially cross-province activities – are very costly. Help us send more orangutans home by donating at http://orangutan.or.id/donate.
After successfully releasing 12 orangutans yesterday, today the BOS Foundation team at Nyaru Menteng continued the orangutan release event by successfully reintroducing eight more orangutans into Bukit Batikap Conservation Forest.

Just like yesterday, the Orangutan Release Team at Nyaru Menteng had been preparing since 4.30 am at the Quarantine Enclosure. Vet Maryos V. Tandang, vet Barlian Purnama Putra, and vet Fiet were ready to sedate the orangutans to be released on this second day.


Today, the BOS Foundation were going to release eight more orangutans into Bukit Batikap. Unlike the first day when the orangutans were divided into two groups, today there was only going to be one group consisting of Mercury, Manisha, Jupiter and her daughter Julfa, Reno, Jane and both her sons Jojang and Jiro.

Mercury was the first to be sedated by vet Barlian and Manisha was the next, sedated by vet Maryos. While waiting for the two orangutans to fall asleep, the Medical Team observed Jupiter. They then decided not to sedate her, who by the way is famous for her habit of holding a leaf between her lips. Technicians and the Medical Team were able to walk Jupiter and her little daughter Julfa into their transport cage. Before going into the cage, Jupiter received a de-worming injection.


 Meanwhile, vet Barlian was sedating Reno and not far away, Technician Mulyono was also sedating Jojang. Moving on from Reno, vet Barlian then sedated Jane.

Sedation Process

As always, as soon as the orangutans were asleep, they were moved to their respective transport cage.


Manisha started to look a little sleepy and after Medical Team were sure that she was completely asleep, she was moved into her transport cage. The Medical Team had to give Jojang a small top-up dose since the young boy was quite resistant and didn’t fall asleep after the first attempt. In another enclosure, Reno had fallen asleep and the technicians moved him safely to his transport cage.


Mother Jane had also fallen asleep, with her small prince Jiro clinging tight onto her. Jiro was born in the Quarantine Enclosure; his mother Jane and older brother Jojang had previously been selected as release candidates and were more than ready for release, until health checks revealed that Jane was pregnant. To ensure both her and her unborn baby’s health, we decided to delay their reintroduction. Now they are strong and ready to go. Before release, the Medical Team had the chance to insert a tiny identification chip into the young boy. Jiro wasn’t too keen and tried to hide behind her Mother’s back. But he was very brave and the quick procedure was over in no time.



Jojang was finally asleep so he was able to be moved into his transport cage. Just like Jupiter, Jojang was also given a final de-worming shot.


All orangutans were safely in their transport cages, but before they were loaded onto the truck, which would carry them to Tjilik Riwut airport in Palangka Raya, the Medical Team needed to make sure the orangutans had all regained consciousness. Apparently Reno, Jane, and Jojang were still asleep so they were given a reversal to wake them up.

When everyone was awake, the truck was then ready to depart for Tjilik Riwut airport, from where the orangutans would then fly to Beringin airport in Muara Teweh.

The cages were loaded onto a truck

In Muara Teweh, the weather was clear just like yesterday. The nine-strong Muara Teweh team was ready and excited to receive the eight orangutans. For everyone on this team, these orangutans are very dear to their hearts and they have special memories about the orangutans. Technician Suparman who has been with the BOS Foundation Nyaru Menteng team for 11 years talked about how Reno, who was known as the pig in Forest School because he simply ate everything; he has always been one of Suparman’s favourites. Technician Heri Setiawan also commented on how Jupiter was one his favourites. The team has seen all these orangutans grow up, some from a very young age, and throughout their learning process in Nyaru Menteng, and know them all individually. Today, they would say farewell; a happy-sad event. Sad knowing that they would not see the orangutans again, but the happiness and joy were even greater knowing these orangutans would live as they should have been from the very beginning, free in their natural habitat.

Clear Weather on Muara Teweh

Back to Palangka Raya, the orangutan truck arrived at the airport at 7.20 in the morning. There was a delay for about one hour before we started the loading process due to foggy weather in Batikap.

Once we received news from Batikap that the weather had cleared up, we started the loading process. Reno was the first to be loaded onto the plane. Next was Jojang, Mercury, Manisha, Jupiter and her beautiful daughter Julfa, and lastly, Jane and little Jiro.

The Cages Were Loaded onto the Twin Otter

The loading process took about 15 minutes. After the final checks, at 08.50 they took off for Beringin airport, Muara Teweh. On this flight, vet Barlian and a representative from the Central Kalimantan Conservation and Natural Resources Authority (BKSDA), Pak Wachid, accompanied the orangutans.


Beringin Airport Muara Teweh

At 09.30, they arrived at Beringin Airport. Jane and Jiro were the first to be unloaded from the plane, followed by Jupiter and Julfa, Manisha, Mercury, and Reno. The helicopter was already standing by with the cargo net ready. The orangutans in their transport cages were then placed into the cargo net and safely secured.

Before the orangutans left for Bukit Batikap, vet Agus Fahroni performed the final checks on the orangutans, making sure they were all safe and comfortable. Soon after, the team saw their beloved orangutans fly back to their true home. Farewell, our dearest orangutans! We will be keeping a close eye on you in the forest as you adapt to your new home.

Vet Agus Checking on the Orangutans

The second day of this orangutan release event has been successfully completed. The Muara Teweh team are traveling back as we write and the Batikap team is coming back to Palangka Raya on February 10. The Batikap team is bringing us news of the orangutans once released and in the forest, so look forward to reading their story and stay tuned!

Last but not least, these are the excellent teams we have in Nyaru Menteng and Muara Teweh of whom, along with the Batikap team and your support, their hardwork has made this orangutan release event happen safely and successfully. Thank you, Team BOS Foundation!

Nyaru Menteng Team

Muara Teweh Team

The representatives from BHP Billiton (Operations and Aviation Expert)

Orangutan release activities – especially cross-province activities – are very costly. Help us send more orangutans home by donating at http://orangutan.or.id/donate.


Text by: Paulina L. Ela (BOSF Communication Specialist).

Photos by: Paulina L. Ela, Indrayana, Untung.

ORIGINAL: Going Back To The Forest
by: Paulina L. Ela (BOSF Communication Specialist).  goingback2dforest
February 8, 2014

East Kalimantan Orangutan Release on May 5 & 10, 2012 [FULL VERSION] BOS Foundation

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario